40 Ways to Practice Self-Care Today & Every Day
Some links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through & make a purchase. Please read my disclosure for more info.
The first week of June is always my absolute favorite. It's my birthday week. I always feel so loved, relaxed, and as if my year starts over. It's a new beginning, a fresh change in perspective. We all love new beginnings, that's why New Years is such a vital day for our culture!
As I was planning my day, I started thinking. Why is it that for most people, birthdays are the only days they do what they truly want to do? Why do we not make time to focus on making ourselves happy a little bit every day? There is not a reason in the world for why we shouldn't care more for ourselves every single day.
In order to be able to invest more effort into doing things to improve our overall mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health we need to understand exactly what self-care is. Self-care is doing intentional things that bring us joy and happiness, they revitalize and refuel us. Self-care is not forcing ourselves to do things we don't enjoy; if we don't enjoy them how could it possible bring us happiness?
We work so hard and deal with so many different things on a daily basis. We owe it to ourselves to care for our mind, body, emotions, and soul. We only get this one "vehicle," we need to take care of it in our own special ways! Self-care is different for everyone. What feeds positive energy into my soul may not be what feeds positive energy into your soul. We're all unique. We each have our own needs, interests, and preferences.
I know It can be hard to set aside time for ourselves when we have to be invested in such a fast paced busy world. We all have a lot of responsibilities we have to tend to but if we make sure we learn to incorporate self-care practices into our daily lives we will be happier, healthier, and feel more energized to enjoy each day. Here are 40 ways you can practice self-care today and every day.
1. Have an intense workout.
2. Try something new (crossfit, yoga, basketball, etc.).
3. Spend some time in the sun.
4. Take a nap.
5. Take a relaxing bath without your phone.
6. Do some deep breathing exercises.
7. Get a manicure or a massage.
8. Eat your favorite dessert or meal.
9. Bake something new or something that reminds you of your childhood.
10. Buy an outfit that makes you feel confident.
2. Read a good book.
3. Turn off your phone for a few hours.
4. Read a self help book (I suggest You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero).
5. Go on a little road trip to somewhere new if you can.
6. Try something new (a new coffee shop, restaurant, etc.).
7. Color in a coloring book.
8. Reorganize a room.
9. Write down your short and long term goals and keep track of them.
10. Watch a movie you love.
1. Create positive affirmations for yourself.
2. Make a list of everything you're thankful for.
3. Spend time with someone you love.
4. Call someone you love.
5. Start a daily journal.
6. Write down your negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones.
7. Write down 10 things you love about yourself.
8. Have a girls or guys night out with your best friends.
9. Get in a hot yoga session.
10. Put some essential oils in a defuser (lavender, orange and peppermint are my favorite!).
1. Go for a hike somewhere beautiful.
2. Sit outside and notice everything around you, using all of your senses.
3. Slow down and be present.
4. Pray to whomever or whatever it is you believe in.
5. Meditate and let the energy of the earth fill your mind, soul, and body.
6. Take a step back and notice everything you've accomplished so far.
7. Write a list of 10 things you absolutely love about your life right now.
8. Buy a salt rock and turn it on when you're feeling negative.
9. Watch a documentary, read a book (I recommend Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson!), or listen to a podcast about space.